I have been craving my mom’s peach cobbler for weeks now, and I have tried to talk myself out of making it because… you know… calories. But as every southern girl knows, it’s just not summer until you have cobbler and ice cream, bikinis be damned!!!! So “for the sake of the blog” (yes saying this helps me sleep better at night!), this post is all about peach cobbler! The peach mixture is sweet and creamy. The crust is crisp on the outside and cakey on the inside, and served up hot with a big scoop of ice cream it’s southern heaven!!!
· 1/2 cup unsalted butter
· 1 cup all-purpose flower
· 1 tablespoon baking powder
· A pinch of salt
· 1 cup milk
· 4 cups fresh peaches cut into slices
· 2 tablespoons lemon juice
· Zest ½ the lemon (or more, who am I to judge)
· 1 tablespoon cinnamon
· Wash, dry, and cut your peaches. A little extra step is to scoop out the deep red spikey looking part by the pit.
· Set out your butter so it gets nice and soft by the time this party gets going
· Pre-heat oven to 375 deg F
Ok let’s do this!
Making the crust:
· Melt butter in a 13-X 9-inch baking pan
· Combine flower, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add milk, and start stirring until combined. The lumps should dissolve pretty quickly. Pour batter over butter (do not stir). I prefer to do a zig zag shape and then go back over to fill in holes.
Now for the main attraction, the peach filling:
· Bring the remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices and lemon juice and the zest from ½ of the lemon to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly; pour over batter (do not stir). Sprinkle with cinnamon.
· Bake at 375 for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve cobbler warm or cool
The options are endless with cobbler: add raspberry, apple, cherry, or just go crazy and do a mash up of everything. This recipe never fails to impress, and let’s face it, it’s just not summer in the South without cobbler! So bikinis be damned, this cobbler is well worth it! Enjoy!!
I love fashion, food and southern living! Welcome to my blog.